Carnglaze Caverns is a much recommended all-weather family tourist attraction near the village of St Neot, on the southern edge of Bodmin Moor in Cornwall, halfway between Liskeard and Bodmin just off the A38.
About Carnglaze Caverns
One of Cornwall’s premier underground experiences and days out is a family run business, with much to enjoy
- Open All Year for self-guided tours underground (may be guided in high seasons)
- Three large chambers with stunning Underground Lake
- Set in Quarry Wood consisting of 6.5 acres of ancient woodland with an exceptional walk
- The Terrace Garden and Enchanted Dell start a children’s counting game
- The Rum Store, an underground concert and event venue ~ from Classical to Rock!
- Licensed for weddings and civil partnerships in four different locations
Carnglaze Caverns are privately owned by Graham and Caroline Richards. Caroline, whose background is in teaching, specialising in environmental studies, is also a keen amateur geologist. Graham still works in architecture, as well as supporting Caroline in the day to day management of Carnglaze.
When they came to view Carnglaze in March 2001, having seen an advert for the cottage in Country Life magazine (yes, it does pay to daydream at the dentists!), they found not just the three-bedroomed bungalow they were interested in but the complex that is Carnglaze. The decision was taken later that year not just to live at Carnglaze but to share the Caverns and grounds with others. They see themselves as “stewards” of this small part of Cornwall’s Industrial Heritage.
Thank you for such an educational and fun day. The combination of science and geography makes an activity packed day. Dobwalls School
I thought it was going to be scary in the caverns but it wasn’t, it was great. Demelza – Age 7
If a class teacher is looking for a trip to combine science, geography, local history, fantasy and natural history then look no further. KP Toft Teacher